Something I know right now..I need to look to some sensual pleasures beyond a chocolate party in my mouth when it’s this cold (it’s been below zero or single digits for a LOT of days in a row now) and we still have a LOT of winter left. So this week I have been looking for more color, more bursts of newness, more signs of life, anything to bring little bits of beauty here on the tundra (as I call my life between our new home in New Hampshire and new gig in Vermont). Here are some things I am loving this week in the midst of a seriously cold snap in my 50-something plus winter of my life, in no particular order:
1. Cara cara oranges– I just ate 3 in one sitting (I’m not always moderate, never said I was!). They are almost the color of blood-oranges, sort of a reddish pink inside. Taste like a perfect navel orange. Eating 3 at once should be testament enough for you, yes?
2. Ragani– The voice of an angel with gorgeous harmonies and haunting melodies in Kirtan-style chanting. She is in my car, on my computer-I am addicted right now to her voice, especially to this song “Jaya Ganesha” which is also on my at home yoga playlist and which is playing as I type this little post.
3. Fresh mint and basil– Something about fresh herbs makes everything better in any season especially now when everything outdoors is in dormancy. A few snips of mint or basil into salads or with morning fruit or smoothies, or the pesto I am making later for dinner transports me into summer bliss. Even if I’m not eating the herbs, I like rubbing a few leaves between my palms until the oils release..ahhh, that’s better. I rub a little on the dogs, they don’t like it but I do!
4. Something new for body and mind- I just signed on for a trial month of MyYogaOnline.com and did a half hour yoga video with well-known teacher Shiva Rea that almost killed me. Other than that, having all those videos and how-to’s should shake up my at home practice nicely for a bit. Question though, how do you watch those videos while actually doing them without incurring major neck injuries? Still, extremely limited up here for in person classes so will try to make use of this. If you see me holding my head funny, well…
5. A little right brain love– Having worked intensively on a few major projects the last few months my creativity feels a bit sluggish. And I noticed when we moved, that I had an unusual number of unused sketch pads of various sizes. And…several women whose counsel I take to heart, have recommended over the last year that I start scribbling/doodling/drawing, start to make space for my right-brain to talk to me. Engaging in drawing, daydreaming, listening to music, etc can help with that. I’ve been making tiny simple sketches as many days as I can stand, given my lack of talent and difficulty doing something in spite of that. Still, I can feel it giving me something lovely, so I am doing it, just because.
The best part of winter is… spring. The anticipation of the seasons changing is still thrilling even after all of these decades. And I still do truly love the beauty of a very snowy day. So trudge along we do up here, finding beauty and bliss in tiny ways as the days go by.
The other best part of winter is the coziness of being indoors, writing, connecting with beloved clients. I love the new Knowing Beauty Sessions...the very focused time with you, finding ways to help you navigate specific moments in time and find the just-right solutions to move you into a new season, beautifully. Want one? Go here and sign up…! With love and beauty…my heart to yours..